Here is some essential tips that you will learn a LOT from (unless you are an experienced players already, but then you might learn something new anyway). Some of them are common newbie mistakes, others are just useful in general. We are not saying that these will make you pro right away, but it’s stuff that beginners should think about – and experienced players might learn from.
Also some of this is general advice, use your own common sense, some of the tips might not be useful in special situations.
This list is not complete, so if you have anything to add, don’t hesitate to leave a comment to this guide.
We will start out with the DO NOT list:
- DON’T aim at the floor/legs (common mistake up until DMG).
- DON’T peek planted bomb instantly when you hear a defuse sound, wait about 3 seconds and then peek.
- DON’T hold down mouse 1 after you haven’t killed the enemy in 10 bullets, just strafe away and wait for your recoil to settle.
- DON’T hold shift when the enemy already knows you are there or there is only one entry (B on inferno for example).
- DON’T reload when your in a dangerous spot and you still have more than 5-6 bullets, get safe and then reload.
- DON’T peek when your reload isn’t finished.
- DON’T buy a helmet when you know the enemies either have AWP’s or AK’s and your money isn’t amazing.
- DON’T eco rounds when you have ~3500$ on T or ~4000$ on CT (again, don’t buy helmet) AND you know the enemies economy is weak.
- DON’T (IMPORTANT) eco after you lose the pistol on CT or T (except for when you get a plant in the pistol on the T side). Buy helmet + pistol, scout or mag-7. You will be able to buy on the 4th round no matter what you do on the second round, and winning 2nd isn’t that hard considering their economy isn’t great either.
- DON’T stand next to someone (especially AWP’ers) who are peeking on a close angle. They want to strafe back if they miss their shot and if they get blocked, this usually means instant death.
- DON’T rush in or peek with the bomb, just drop it in a safe corner where it can’t be seen by CT’s.
- DON’T peek in with your W/forward key, always peek while side strafing.
- DON’T run with a nade/smoke/flash in your hand, knife is 250 units/s nades are 245 units/s.
- DON’T flame your teammates – the game is better without, trust me.
Now for some DO’s:
- DO prefire common spots/corners at headshot level.
- DO fake plant to get a chance at an easy kill, just hold E till you hear the sound and then spam 1 to get your gun out.
- DO use shift walk when fake defusing (most useful in 1 vs X), tap the bomb (tapping E to make noise) and shift walk into a wider angle, so that when the T peeks the bomb you will be in a weird angle for him.
- DO use counter flashes when you are getting pushed as a CT. When you are getting rushed, a smoke will not detonate in time to stop the rush. A flash however, will buy some time and maybe even get you or your teammate a free kill.
- DO use molotovs to clear out common spots and then watch as they run for their lives while you kill them.
- DO use incendiary grenades to buy some extra time (7 sec) for your teammates to rotate.
- DO plant the bomb in the most optimal plant available. Most of you always plant in the safest way, although a better plant can give you the upper hand in a clutch situation. Learn the different plants and when to use which.
- DO flash in for your teammates. Most of those flashes are easy to throw and doesn’t need to be learned. Just tell your teammate your flashing for him and he can get a safe peek, maybe even a kill.
- DO learn the various T side smokes on the maps you are playing. YoutTube is a great source for this.
- DO accept the fact that your teammate might be better off with the AWP than you are.
- DO buy on the 3rd round if you got a plant in the 1st or 2nd round but still lost. You will have around 4500, should be enough.
- DO learn the recoil patterns of the most common weapons (AK, M4A1), again YouTube is a great source.
- DO be friendly/optimistic. Your chances for a comeback is 80% higher when you keep the spirit up! Statistically proven 😉
Did we forget to mention a great pro tip for Counter-Strike Global Offensive? Leave us a comment below ! And share this post.